Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Life is full of oddness

It's amazing how in my normal routine I take so much for granted. For example if I'm going to leave a room I can tell if the lights are off by just glancing at the light switches and noting their position. I don't consciously examine whether they're up or down, I just subconsciously must know that the image looks right for me to leave the house. However here in the states lots of things are just slightly different and force my conscious mind to kick in and do some work.

For example:
- Lights are off when the switch is down, not up. So I notice that the light is on, glance at the switch and get all confused!
- With mixer taps, the hot and cold directions are reversed. So that while I'm waiting for the hot water to arrive I'm not constantly checking that I'm pushing the tap in the right direction.
- Cars drive on the other side of the road. So every time I approach a road on foot, I glance in the wrong direction first!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the taps are reversed. When we lived in NZ, they were wherever they wanted to be, hot on the left or right, whatever. Even in the same house. What a nightmare!

Have you been freaked out by American dunnies yet? Note: do not spew into an American dunny.

Glen McGregor said...

I should count my blessings for at least some consistency.

Yeah, the dunnies are weird. But they're surprisingly effective and clearing out their contents after use (man, it was hard to put that delicately!)

I'll heed your advice. Sounds gross :)