Friday, March 11, 2011

Cecil Walker

In the previous installment I talked about the drama I had getting my Kennedy custom bike maintained well. I tried Kennedy's themselves and they were crap. I tried my local bike shop but they weren't even slightly interested. So I gave Cecil Walker's a call.

They were very proud to announce that they were the only accredited Campagnolo servicers in the CBD. I thought that sounds awesome and I should give them a try. So I took my bike in and asked them to give it a general service and also check my top 2 issues: a) The way downshifting on the front chainrings left the chain lost in limbo between the two chainrings and b) the horrible grinding/clanking noise coming from the bottom bracket.

I even pointed out that it was a Shimano chain on a Campag gearset and that I was worried about compatibility issues. Remember this for later.

So at the end of the day I went to pick up my bike with high hopes. They talked about everything they'd done and I asked about whether the chain or the bottom bracket were a trouble and they said it was all good and charged me $70. So I rode home and my bike was as noisy as ever and the shifting was just as bad as ever. Let me say right now that this was very disappointing.

So I took it back the following week and asked them to have another look at it. I picked it up at the end of the day and was told that they'd checked it out and it turns out that the bottom bracket has never been opened in the 3 years I'd had it. So.... the previous week when I asked them to check it out... they... didn't? They'd just made liars out of themselves!!! Too flabergasted, I took off home and within 30 meters my chain got caught between the chainrings! I turned around and went straight back to the shop.

At the shop someone who I assume was a manager or senior staffer came along and had a look and announced that Shimano chains don't work on Campag gear. That was why I was getting so many issues with the front chainring.

So now they've admitted that they:
  • Didn't check the bottom bracket even though I specifically asked them to and;
  • Didn't identify that a shimano chain doesn't work on Campag gear even though they claim to be a Campag accredited workshop!!
So in summary, I can't recommend Cecil Walkers. My hunt for an even slightly decent bike maintenance store continues...

No comments: