Friday, September 02, 2005

Genetic Modification

I've often heard the theory that my generation is that last generation that will die. I've always thought that was a bit optimistic, but an article I read on The Australian yesterday has made me revise that opinion.

I've also long thought that my generation has missed the Genetic Modification (GM) boat because our genes are already set. Sure, future generations will be modified before they develop much, but I'm pretty much stuck with the genes I've got.

The Article talks about some scientists who have modified a mouse so that it can regenerate damaged legs, tails and even heart tissue. It can't regenerate the brain yet.

But the real kicker is that if they take liver cells from these GM mice and inject them into regular mice, the regular mice gain these regenerative abilities too.

Maybe there's hope for me yet...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's the matter with the genes you've got!! They're pretty high class.